These vegan and gluten-free nutty cookies are all you need to make your week super delicious.
Sometimes all you need is a cookie that is not overly sweet but still has a lot of flavour - and that's exactly why we love this cookie. They might be a bit crumbly but they are also so light and yummy!
If you are not sure if you should use almond flour or almond meal there are very slight differences between them. Almond meal is slightly more harsh in texture, has a stronger nutty taste and is also a dark shade of brown. That's why we love using almond meal in this recipe and really highlight the nutty flavours that the almond and cashews bring.
1 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp water
1 cup almond meal
1 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 cup soft coconut oil
1/2 cup coconut sugar
3/4 cup creamy cashew butter
1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180°C and prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, combine the chia seeds and water and set aside to thicken to at least 5 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the almond meal, buckwheat flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, combine the chia seed mixture, coconut oil, coconut sugar, cashew butter and vanilla and mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until combined. Let the dough chill for 30 minutes.
- Scoop the dough and roll it into balls using your hands. Flatten slightly and place on the baking sheet. Use a fork to cross-hatch marks.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes, remove from the oven and let it sit on the baking sheet for 10 minutes before removing them.