The ultimate carrot cake recipe! Inspired by the Minimalist Baker.
We are all for vegan and gluten-free cake recipes - but it can be a struggle to find the perfect one. This cake turned out to be specially light, airy, fluffy and overall delicious! It is the ideal snack for a summer day because of its freshness and because it doesn't make you feel heavy or bloated after eating.
We love carrot cake because carrots bring not only natural sweetness but also nutrition to this recipe. They are a great source of vitamin A, which is important for growth, development, and immune function.
Hope you love it like we did!
3 batches flax egg (we use this Minimalist Baker recipe to make flax egg)
1/3 cup melted coconut oil
1/4 cup maple syrup
1 scant cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup organic brown sugar
1/4 cup coconut sugar
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 - 1 cup non-dairy unsweetened milk
1 1/2 cups loosely packed grated carrot
1 1/2 cups almond flour
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour blend
- Preheat oven to 180C degrees. Butter and flour two round pans with coconut oil and dust with gluten-free flour. Shake out excess. Set aside.
- Prepare flax eggs in a large mixing bowl. To flax eggs, add coconut oil and maple syrup and whisk to combine. Next, add applesauce, sugars, salt, baking soda, baking powder, and cinnamon and whisk to combine.
- Add almond milk and stir. Add grated carrot and stir. Then add almond flour and gluten-free flour blend and stir. The batter should be thick but pourable. If too thick, add more almond milk.
- Divide evenly among cake pans. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let rest in the pans for 15 minutes. Then carefully run a knife along the edges and gently invert onto cooling racks to let cool completely.
- Once cooled completely, you can serve as is or frost. We frosted and placed strawberries on top and it was delicious!
- This cake will last for for 2-3 days in room temperature and 3-4 days in the refrigerator. Enjoy!