When China refused to continue to take the world's waste, a problem came to light. We are producing more trash than we can recycle and what do we do with it all? While recycling is great and helps avoid trash going from landfill, the ultimate goal needs to be zero waste and reducing the amount of trash we use.
Items that you can recycle:
1. Paper and cardboard products, newspaper (remove the soft plastic wrapping first and from boxes you must remove the plastic sticky tape)
2. Plastic containers and food containers (must be rinsed, remove foil from yoghurt containers)
3. Plastic bottles
4. Aluminium products such as cans, aerosols, foil. With foil large or small e.g from yoghurt wrappers or chocolate make sure you scrunch the foil into a ball so the machines can detect it as small little scraps of foil get lost and then won't get recycled.
Items to not recycle:
1. Plastic bags. You can drop your plastic bags off to RedCycle collection point
3. Clothing or cloth material
4. Food containers with food in them or that are unrinsed
5. Paper towels (even though it's 'paper', they are manufactured in a way that stops them from being recycled. They are made with resins, softeners and bleach.
6. Toothbrushes & Toothpaste tubes as they are made of multiple materials to bind them together
7. Coffee cups
At our Luxey HQ we stepped up our waste game and implemented a 5 part bin system to help reduce our environmental footprint and make sure that everything we use ends up in the right place.
Recyclables: Plastic bottles, containers, milk cartons
Soft plastics: Plastics that are scrunchable like plastic bags, wrappers , cling wrap can be taken to your nearest RedCycle collection point (Woolworths and Coles) to be specially repurposed!
Compost: We compost in our warehouse backyard with our Subpods! Having a worm farm is seriously the best thing ever, this is where you can put alot of your fruit and veggie waste, soiled cardboard, paper towels that haven't been contaminated with cleaning chemicals etc
Landfill: All the things that sadly can't go anywhere else