You may have seen Sandra-Lea making this amazing meringues on Instagram and now it's your turn to try this delicious sweet airy treats!
Did you know that you don't need eggs to make delicious meringues? In this recipe Sandra-Lea used aquafaba instead of egg whites and it tastes even better than classic meringues!
Aquafaba is the chickpeas water that you can get from draining a can of chickpeas or by cooking your own chickpeas and reserving the cooking liquid. This amazing vegan liquid can be used to substitute whipped egg whites in any recipe - like cakes, pancakes and mousses.
We recommend whisking the aquafaba with a hand or stand mixer. Using your hands only can be pretty exhausting as it takes around 5 minutes to get the perfect consistency. And whipping your aquafaba with some cream of tartar will make the process faster and easier and the end result will be firmer.
6 tbsp aquafaba (liquid from a can of chickpeas)
1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the aquafaba and cream of tartar into a bowl suited for an electric mixer.
- Start at slow speed and whip until foamy then gradually increase speed until stiff peaks start to form.
- Add the sugar in slowly while whipping at fast speed.
- Add in the vanilla extract.
- Keep whipping until glossy stiff peaks form.
- Preheat your oven to 120°C and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Use a pipping bag to place the meringue mix into cookie shapes onto the parchment lined tray.
- Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes. After 45 minutes, switch off the oven but don't open it. Leave the oven off, but don’t open it for one hour.
- After this process is done, remove the meringues from the oven.
- Enjoy them - you will feel like you are eating sweet heavenly clouds!