LUXEY RECIPES | VEGAN GLUTEN FREE CAKE
Who knew vegan cake tasted this good! We had a birthday in the office and SL baked this delicious cake for the team, how lucky are we?
Although the cake is gluten free and dairy free, we can assure you it tasted even better than it looks! It's fluffy, tender, perfectly sweet, easy to make and vanilla infused!
1 x 2/3 Cup dairy - free milk
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
3 1/4 cups blanched almond meal
1 cup potato starch (not flour)
1/3 cup tapioca flour
1 1/3 cup organic coconut sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt (optional)
VEGAN WHIPPED CREAM FROSTING
2 tins full fat coconut cream
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup organic icing sugar (sifted)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (176 C) and lightly grease two standard 8-inch round cake pans, one 9×13-inch, or three 6-inch round pans* (with vegan butter or coconut oil) and dust with gluten-free flour. Shake out excess and set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, measure out dairy-free milk and add vinegar. Let set a few minutes. Then add applesauce and vanilla. Whisk/stir to combine.
- Add dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Then add wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until well incorporated and no large lumps remain. The batter should be thick but pourable. Add more almond meal if too wet or dairy-free milk if too thick
- Divide batter evenly between prepared cake pans and bake on a centre rack for 35-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean and the edges and surface appear golden brown.
- Let cool for 15 minutes in the cake pans. To remove from pans, run a dull knife around the edge of the pans to loosen the cakes. Then place a plate or cooling rack on top and quickly invert. Let cool completely (preferably overnight or at least 6 hours on a wire rack) before frosting.
- Frost with Coconut Whipped Cream (method below)
- Store cake covered at room temperature for 2-3 days or in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Freeze up to 1 month.
- Place 2 unopened tins of coconut cream in your freezer overnight
- Scoop hardened coconut cream into a mixing bowl and remove any clear coconut fat
- Whip with a hand mixer or stand mixer until light peaks form
- Option to sweeten with sifted powdered sugar or stevia to taste
Recipe credit goes to Minimalist Baker
Frosting recipe is by Sandra-Lea